Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Another Book Meme

I like books. Stolen from Geewits and Jazz

1. How many books do I own?
Hundreds. I can't say if I've broken the thousand mark, yet. I'm steadily working on it, but right now I'm in one of those phases where I'm trying to read the stuff I own but still haven't gotten to. I'm sure, soon enough, I'll wander through a bookstore a not be able to keep my hands off and my wallet closed.

2. What was the last book read?
A Storm of Swords, the third book in George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series. It's a really excellent epic fantasy series. The problem is that, like Robert Jordan's stuff, he doesn't ever really complete the story. If I had a stronger will, I would have waited until he was finished with the books and then read them one after the other to get everything from beginning to end. Still, they're really good.

3. What was the last book I bought?
I bought the set of all four "Song of Ice and Fire" books. I'm working on the fourth one now. I'll be finished with it by Friday, at the latest.

4. Five meaningful books that I've read:
I'm going with and attitude of these books are meaningful to me and if you disagree, it's you're problem, not mine.

A Spell for Chameleon, Piers Anthony
The book just charmed me, and still does. I'd read harder, darker fantasy stuff and enjoyed it a lot, but A Spell for Chameleon was so much fun that after I finished it the first time, I read it again. I like the puns and the idea that everyone has an unique talent. This was the book that taught me that "adult" books can be just as fun as "kids" books.

The Berenstain Bears, Stan and Jan Berenstain
There's not logic to this one. I just love these things. Ever since I was little. The beginner books are all little morality tales that sometimes fit my life. (I know I lived "Trouble at School," without the failing a test part, but other things happened.) The Bear Scouts are adventure stories. The Big Chapter Books let the Berenstains do their own versions of more famous works, like Romeo and Juliet. Every time I take one of the floppy books off the shelf and take five minutes to read it, I finish with a huge smile.

A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle
It's not so much the book as in its introduction of L'Engle to me through it. After I read this book, I moved on to read her other books about the Murry family and then on to stuff about the O'Keefes. Reading her books, I found that writers don't have to be confined to one genre. I was awed at how she could write adventure stories and science stories and love stories and mix and match them and have them all be amazing. Her books are what made me want to be a writer and share lots of different sorts of stories with whoever was interested.

Hey Nostradamus!, Douglas Coupland
It's just a really sad story about how people deal with loss. Also, it was my gateway to other Coupland books. He's a man of many stile and I really wish I could write like he does.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
Yes, I am proud to say that I prefer the "Dirk Gently" books, but Hitchhiker's Guide was my introduction to the wonderfully weird wit of Douglas Adams. I still want a babel fish.

Coming up with five different books was hard. I haven't ever read a book that's changed my life. I've never read a book that changed my mind, or blown me so totally away that I ran out and told everyone else to read it. (Also, in my experience when I suggest a book, people tell me "okay" and then don't read it until another person suggests they read it, unless I hand them the book right then and there.)

4 comments:

geewits said...

I went crazy over the Xanth series and read them all in a row up until "Isle of View." And this was back when I had to wait for them to come out. I need to get some more of those because they are just fun. "Hitchhiker's Guide" is also a good read but I never became an obsessed fan like some people. I'm starting to think all bloggers are lovers of books.

choochoo said...

If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy tons of books. I alread do that, and the only thing I ever won was a frisbee...

Jazz said...

Damn, do we share a brain? I can't believe I didn't have Douglas Adams in my list of five... Or Piers Anthony.

I love the Song of Ice and Fire series, one of, if not the best, fantasy series in my opinion.

And reading all the books I have before buying more? I don't think I'll ever manage that. It's impossible not to buy new books. Can't do it...

ticknart said...

Geewits -- I got to read them straight through to Demons Don't Dream, which I bought in hardcover, the first hardcover I ever bought. My mom and I still share the new ones back and forth. And, while they're fun, they feel repetitive to me. Although the robots he introduced in Pet Peeve are wonderful.

Choochoo -- At least you've won a frisbee, I can't remember winning anything.

Jazz -- I don't know if I'd call it the best fantasy series, but only because he's only finished four books and it already feels like he's stalling like Jordan did after book six. They're great, that's for sure, in the top ten epic fantasy series.