Sunday, August 08, 2004

And another one bites the dust.

The new guy at work quit. He only worked for 'Bucks for a two weeks. The first was only for his training. The second was for learning by actually doing the work. He was one of the good ones. One with personality. He was funny. He quit on Friday night. In fact, he told me, after we had closed the store, that Friday was his last night. I was surprised, not only because he was doing a good job, but because he had worked for 'Bucks a couple of years ago for a year(ish) before school forced him to quit. Today, one of the assistant managers cornered me, during those ten minutes before my shift, and kept asking me why people keep quitting. I should have answered her, but I didn't, mainly because I had to work with her for four more hours and didn't want to make her more upset than she was. I steered the conversation to her trip to New York instead, that made the day much more bearable.

What doesn't make work bearable is that our CD player is broken. Sure, the CDs aren't that great, but the music helps to make the day move faster. Plus, it broke on the day we got a CD that had a bunch of Aretha Franklin tunes. I was looking forward to annoying coworker by singing along. I guess I'll have to wait another few days to do that.

Not that I need music to sing at work because I don't. I bothered the whole crew the other day by reciting all the words to "Working in the Coal Mine" as if it were Shakespeare. Much fun was had by me. The other thing I do to really bother them is hum "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with no breaks. The best way to use this is to keep moving, so everyone hears it, but no one knows where it's coming from. Not easy to do in a small store.

I once did the Twinkle for three hours. It was during a cleaning thing/award ceremony for the gun club I shot at for a couple of months in high school. Ask my dad and my brothers about it. Everyone was asking where the Twinkle was coming from, but no one asked me. It was brilliant.

I don't think the people who came up with this trailer (be warned, it's a biggie) have ever watched an episode of Star Trek.

No comments: