Friday, June 25, 2004

A Test In Patience

Yes, a test for me and you. Part of the test is the horrible long scroll (which I tried my best to get rid of) that exists on the page. I don't know how to get rid of it. The rest of my test is done. I translated this thing from a WordPerfect document into html, by actually typing the code because everything else kept fucking up, for the past hour or two (it was a nice way to practice wasting time). After the scrolling, the rest of your test is to actually read this and give some sort of feedback. No feedback (via the comments or e-mail), no pass test.

"What is it?" those of you who haven't run yet may be asking. It's the teaser and first two acts of an episode of Star Trek: Voyager I wrote during the show's final season. I found it while going through old things I've written. I thought that I had finished it (I've probably been lying to myself for several years about finishing it), but only found this much done. I did a bit of editing to make it all, I hope, better than it was before.

What I planned for the rest of the episode follows as well as a little rant about the end of Voyager.

Good luck.

Oh, and all characters and Voyager and Star Trek and whatnot are copyright and trademarked to Paramount Pictures, so I don't get sued and have them take away my DVDs and computer and such after they win.
One Giant Leap For...
By Josh Fitzwater


TEASER:

FADE IN:

EXT. SPACE


Voyager is stopped in space. Nothing special can be seen, only stars and the Milky Way.
NELIX (V/O)
Nelix’s log, stardate... uh... stardate... um. Well, I’m not quite sure. With all of the excitement of the last few weeks I guess I’ve lost track of the date.
INT. VOYAGER CORRIDOR

Nelix is walking through corridors, smiling widely, the member of the crew he passes are smiling as well. As he passes he pats shoulders, shakes hands, shares unheard happy thoughts. When his voice over ends he enters the turbolift.
NELIX (V/O)
About three weeks ago it was announced to the crew that we were approaching the boarder of the Beta Quadrant. The first “landmark” that the crew has had in the past six years. Well, the first one that they recognize, at least. And today, is the day we cross it.
INT. BRIDGE

All stations are full. The viewscreen show the open space in front of them. On the bridge are Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Harry, and Tom in their standard positions, the rest of the stations are filled with extras. Nelix enters from the turbolift.
JANEWAY
Well, Mr. Nelix, is everything ready?

NELIX
Yes, Captain, just give the word.

JANEWAY
Janeway to transporter rooms one and two. On my command begin transport.

TWO ANONYMOUS VOICES (COM VOICE)

Aye, aye.
During the following speech cut to key parts of the ship—mess hall, main engineering, sickbay, etc.—to show the reactions of crew in those places, be sure to show faces of the cast. Doctor is in sickbay, Torres in engineering. Seven is in astrometrics. Focus back on Janeway when the Romulans are mentioned.
JANEWAY
Janeway to the crew of Voyager. My friends... my... family. Today we take a meaningful step toward home. It’s not out largest step. It’s not our fastest step. But, perhaps, it’s our most important step. Three thousand kilometers in front of us is what the Federation stellar cartography science committee has declared the official boarder between the Delta Quadrant and the Beta Quadrant. We are closer than ever to territory that has been mapped.

(Beat)
Closer than ever to our homes. After we cross this boarder, things aren’t likely to get any easier. We still have plenty of space to cover. More unknown races to meet. More worlds to explore. And we must remember that the Romulan Empire is between the Federation and us; which means we may be meeting some of their long range and science vessels. But, I hope, that’s years away.
(Beat)
Mr. Paris, take us ahead, full impulse. When we cross the boarder, warp six.

TOM
Aye. Course laid in.

JANEWAY
Engage.
EXT. SPACE

Voyager moves forward. After a few beats it jumps to warp.

INT. BRIDGE
JANEWAY
We still have a long way to go, but I know we’ll make it.

(Beat, on a bittersweet look on her face.)
Transporter rooms, energize.
Cut around to the same rooms as before, platters of “party food” and drinks beam in, ending with the beam in on the bridge.
JANEWAY
For now, however, enjoy yourselves. You’ve earned it.
FADE TO:

OPENING CREDITS




ACT ONE:

FADE IN:

INT. MESS HALL


It’s late, few people in the mess hall and they keep leaving during the scene. Nelix is cleaning up behind his counter. He looks up and grins. As the voice over ends he walks over to Tom and Harry, who are sitting at a table.
NELIX (V/O)
Nelix’s log stardate 54103.8. It’s been three days since we crossed over into the Beta Quadrant, and I’ve never seen the crew this happy. If they keep it up for much longer, there won’t be any need for a moral officer anymore.

NELIX
(Claps both of them each on a shoulder.)
Anything else for you two this evening?

HARRY
Thanks, no. I was just about to leave for my nightly duty.

NELIX
(Pulls up a chair and sitting.)

(To Tom)

Nightly duty?

TOM
The bridge. He’s in charge of the night shift, remember?

NELIX
Really? I thought he gave that up years ago.
Harry's embarrased, but Tom and Nelix ignore him.
TOM
Harry, give it up? Never. He’s still pushing for the captain’s chair before he’s thirty; his own captain’s chair that is.

NELIX
And don’t forget the lovely Ensign Jenkins.

HARRY
You can remember that Jenkins is the pilot on the night shift, but you can’t remember about me, huh? Your doing wonders for my morale here, Nelix.

NELIX
I only know that Jenkins works nights because she always reminds me that she doesn’t want coffee in the morning, it wouldn’t let her sleep.

TOM
And we must remember she is lovely.

(To Harry)
Which reminds me, why haven’t you done anything about her?

HARRY
What do you mean, “done anything about her”?

TOM
Don’t play coy with me, Harry.
Harry has an oblivious look on his face.
NELIX
(Nudging Tom)
I don’t think he’s playing, Tom. Look at him. He doesn’t know.

HARRY

I don’t know what?

TOM
It’s the Delanys all over again.

HARRY
(To Tom. Quick, defensive)
What does that mean?

NELIX

(To Tom, slower than Harry)
What does that mean?

TOM
(To Nelix)
He fell in love with the wrong sister.

HARRY
Hey!

NELIX
(Still to Tom)
No.

TOM
(Still to Nelix)
He really did. Jenny (Megan?) gave him plenty of opportunities, too. You should have seen the way she looked at him during our Captain Proton adventures. You could see that she was practically begging him to ask her out after each one. But wonder boy here never got the hint; he kept pining after Megan (Jenny?), and now Jenny’s (Megan’s?) dating... what’s-his-name?

NELIX
(To Tom)
I’m not sure.
(To Harry)
You’re not going to let the same thing happen to poor Jenkins, are you?

HARRY
Let what happen to poor Jenkins?

NELIX
You’re not going to let her get away.

HARRY
What do you mean? She doesn’t like me.

TOM
Oh, please. Hasn’t she been the night pilot since we first got here, almost seven years ago?

NELIX
Are there any other crew members who have stuck with the night duty for seven years, besides you?

TOM
Don’t her days off just happen to coincide with the nights your not playing captain?

NELIX
Aren’t you ever going to get around to asking her out?
Harry sputters for an answer, Tom and Nelix are on the verge of laughter, when Tuvok walks in, carrying a Padd, and heads over to Nelix.
TUVOK
Excuse me gentlemen.

(To Nelix)
Is the galley closed, or are you just whiling away your many hours?

NELIX
For you, commander, the galley is always open.

HARRY
(Relief on his face)
Tuvok, you’re a lifesaver.
Harry hightails it out of the mess hall. Tom bursts into laughter.
TUVOK
What was that about?

TOM
Just discussing Harry’s love life.

NELIX
You know, doing some matchmaking.

(Walking over to the counter)
Speaking of matchmaking, commander, we’ve been on this ship almost seven years now, should we be trying to find a match for you?

TUVOK
I don’t know what your talking about.

NELIX
I think you do, but you’re too embarrassed to talk about it. Don’t worry your Vulcan head though, I’ll find you a nice girl.

TUVOK
I assure you, Mr. Nelix, that if I needed to find a “match,” as you put it, I am very capable of finding my own.

NELIX
I’m sure you are, Mr. Vulcan.
Nelix rummages around, getting a tray ready. Tuvok reviews the Padd.
NELIX
Whatcha reading there?

TUVOK
I am reviewing the results of the last Starfleet security protocol test I gave to young Icheb.

NELIX
Well now, how did he do?

TUVOK
Remarkable, so far.

TOM

(From his seat)
Not surprising, considering the hardware in his head.

TUVOK
(Not looking up from his Padd.)
Not necessarily, Mr. Paris, it could be a natural ability of his race.

TOM
(Moving toward the counter)
Tuvok, we met his people. I don’t think that it’s a natural ability.

TUVOK
(Still not looking up from his Padd.)
The people we met were living on the frontier, they have had no time to develop their intellect as Icheb has. I doubt they are representative of their race.

TOM
I suppose your right, Tuvok.

(To Nelix, who is still preparing Tuvok’s tray.)
Anyway, this talk of Icheb reminded me, Nelix, I have a great idea to teach him all about starships.

NELIX
(Putting the finishing touches on the tray.)
And what’s your “great” idea?

TOM
My idea is, now get this, that he and I repair and upgrade your little ship.

NELIX
Repair... and upgrade... my ship?

TOM
Yeah! Isn’t it a great idea?

NELIX
(Giving the finished tray to Tuvok.)
Here you go, commander, enjoy your meal.

TUVOK
Thank you.
Tuvok takes the tray and sits down. Nelix starts cleaning up behind the counter.
TOM
Well? What do you think?

NELIX
I don’t know. What kinds of “upgrades” were you thinking of?

TOM
Nothing wild. Upgrade your computer. A new sensor system. Increase your engine efficiency. Add a weapons system that could actually do something if push came to shove. You know, make it a bit more... uh... modern.

NELIX
You mean more like the Delta Flyer?

TOM
Not exactly. We’d be using a lot of the same technology. You know, a bit from the Federation here, a bit from the Borg there, and anything else that might be useful.

NELIX
Sounds like a great idea. When do we get started?

TOM
We? Uh... I was hoping it would be me and Icheb. I mean, I know how busy you are, and I don’t want to take you away from your duties and all that.

NELIX
Oh, I get it. You’re afraid that I won’t let you do everything you want to do to my ship, right?
Tom nods sheepishly.
NELIX
I’ll stay out of it if you allow someone else help in place of me.

TOM
And who would that be?

NELIX
Naomi Wildman.

TOM
Naomi Wildman? What for? She’s just a kid.

NELIX
A kid that wants to join Starfleet as soon as she’s old enough. I think this would be a big help. Besides, it’s the only way I’ll let you tinker on my ship.

TOM
Okay, okay. Naomi can join us, but I’m not going to get permission from her mother or the captain, you’re going to have to do that.

NELIX
Don’t worry about Samantha, she’ll allow it. And I think I know just how to take care of the captain. Do I need to get permission for Icheb too?

TOM
No. The captain has already said that anything that’ll prepare him for Starfleet is okay by her.

NELIX
Good. Computer, where is Captain Janeway?

COMPUTER
Captain Janeway is in her quarters.

NELIX
Good. Computer, is she sleeping?

COMPUTER
Her vital signs indicate that she is awake.

NELIX
Good, good. Tom, I’ll meet you at the shuttle bay with Naomi at say—

TOM
I’ll contact you.

NELIX
Alright then, have a good evening. And say hello to the lovely wife fore me.
Nelix tosses takes his apron off, tosses it behind the counter and exits.

INT. CAPTAIN’S QUARTERS

Captain Janeway is reading a book, in her room when the door chimes. It startles her. She chooses to ignore it, hoping the person will just go away. The door chimes twice more before:
NELIX (COM VOICE)
Nelix to Captain Janeway, I know your awake, the computer told me so. Please let me in.
Janeway goes to the door and taps the panel, the door opens, Nelix is standing there looking excited.
NELIX
Oh, pardon me. Is this a bad time?

JANEWAY
(A bit flustered at the question.)
No, Mr. Nelix, this isn’t. Why don’t you come in and tell me whatever you needed to say to me.

NELIX
Thank you.

(Enters)
Well, captain, have you heard of Tom’s idea to, uh, upgrade my ship?

JANEWAY
I believe I overheard him mentioning it to Seven on the bridge this morning.

(She sits and motions for Nelix to sit as well)
What about it?

NELIX
(Sitting)
Well, he wants to do this as a way to teach Icheb the ins and outs of how a starship is built and maintained, first hand. Which I think is a wonderful idea.

JANEWAY
So do I. Now, what’s your problem?

NELIX
It’s not a problem, so much, as a request.

JANEWAY
And that would be?

NELIX
I’d like it if you’d assign Naomi Wildman to help Tom and Icheb.

JANEWAY
Naomi Wildman?

NELIX
Yes, Naomi. I think this is an ideal project for her and if you assigned–-

JANEWAY
But Naomi’s just a child. She’s not even six years old.

NELIX
What does that matter? She’s the captain’s girl, isn’t she?

JANEWAY
Yes, she is, but that’s more on a honorary position. She doesn’t really do anything.

NELIX
All the more reason for you to assign her to this project. It’ll make her feel more useful. All she does is her homework and play with Flauter, since the other children left. She needs something to occupy her time. This way she’ll learn something, and get to make weekly reports to the captain on it’s progress. Now she’ll really get to be the captain’s girl.

JANEWAY
I see your point, Nelix. I’ll give her the assignment tomorrow morning, and tell her to report to Tom for the times they will be working.

NELIX
And you’ll read her weekly reports?

JANEWAY
And I’ll read her weekly reports.

(Beat)
Now, I’m assuming that you’ve already gotten her mother’s approval of this.

NELIX
Um. . . not quite yet.

(Beat)
You see, it’s late, and I didn’t want to disturb Samantha after she’s had a long day.
(He notices the look Janeway is giving him.)
I also thought it best to get you to agree to this first, that way I could throw your name around a bit, get her to agree faster.

JANEWAY
Very wise, Nelix. Was there anything else?

NELIX
Nothing, unless you have something you want to talk about.

JANEWAY
No. I just want to get back to my reading.

(She gestures to her book.)

NELIX
Oh, yes. Of course. Well goodni–
The ship suddenly rocks, causing Janeway and Nelix to bounce a bit. The red alert comes on.
HARRY
Kim to all senior officers, please come to the bridge.
INT. BRIDGE

Tom and Tuvok are already at their positions. Harry is standing in front of the captain’s chair. Nelix and Janeway exit the turbolift.
JANEWAY
What’s going on here?

HARRY
Captain, there’s some sort of subspace interference in front of us.

TOM
It’s destabilized our warp field. We can’t go to warp until we’re several million kilometers away.

JANEWAY
Why didn’t the sensors warn us about this?

HARRY
Because it just appeared. We had no warning.

JANEWAY
Very well. Mr. Kim, get to your station and tell me if there is any way through this, and if there isn’t, I want to know how large it is.

HARRY
(Moving to his post)
Aye.
Chakotay exits the turbolift and stops in front of his chair.
CHAKOTAY
What’s going on?

JANEWAY
Some sort of interference collapsed our warp field.
The ship starts to shake
HARRY
Captain, the interference is growing stronger.

JANEWAY
What’s causing this?

TUVOK
Something is emerging from subspace.

JANEWAY
What?

TUVOK

It appears to be a... ship.

EXT. SPACE

Voyager is stopped, in front of it, special effects happen, and a ship, that looks like the Borg vessel from The Next Generation episodes “Decent I & II,” appears.

FADE TO:

COMMERCIAL




ACT TWO:

FADE IN:

EXT. SPACE


Voyager stopped in space with the “Decent” ship in front of it.

CUT TO:

INT. BRIDGE


Bridge crew is all there–Janeway, Chakotay, Harry, and Tom–in their positions. Nelix is on the bridge too; he’s standing behind the railing to the right of Janeway.
TOM
What kind of a ship is that?

HARRY
I don’t know. My scans won’t penetrate the hull. It’s not generating a warp field. I can’t pick up any recognizable energy signatures.

JANEWAY
Tuvok, open hailing frequencies.

CHAKOTAY
Wait. I think recognize this configuration.

(He sits in his chair, looks at the screen between his seat and the captain’s seat and plays with it.)
Here it is. Captain, it appears that ship is a Borg vessel.

JANEWAY
What? That’s like no Borg ship we’ve ever seen. Tuvok, raise shields and arm phasers.

CHAKOTAY
The database says that it is a Borg ship, Captain. From a mission that the Enterprise was involved in seven years ago.

JANEWAY
(To herself)
The Enterprise, why is it always the Enterprise?
(To the crew)
Alright, I need options. What’s their fire power? Can we outrun them? Tom, get ready for evasive maneuv–

TUVOK
Captain, they’re hailing us.

JANEWAY
Open a channel.

TUVOK
Channel open.

JANEWAY
This is Captain Kathryn Janeway from the United Federation of Planets starship, Voyager. We are not in the mood to fight with you today, but we will fight if necessary.

TUVOK
They are responding.

JANEWAY
On screen.
On the screen appears a humaniod face with Borg implants similar to Seven's, but this humanoid has a full Borg eyepiece.
AM’TALIA
Greetings, Captain Janeway. I am Am’talia, commander of the Borg Confederation vessel Omakah.

(Beat)
Did you say a Federation starship?

JANEWAY
Yes.

AM’TALIA
From the Alpha Quadrant?

JANEWAY
Yes.

(Beat)
I take it you are familiar with the Federation.

AM’TALIA
Familiar? Of course I’m familiar with the Federation. Without the help of a Federation starship, the Enterprise, the Borg Confederation would still be under the control of the android Lore; we wouldn’t be the peaceful explorers we are today. We are indebted to you.

JANEWAY
To us? Don’t you mean you are indebted to the Enterprise and her crew.

AM’TALIA
Yes, we are indebted to the Enterprise and any other Federation starship. You’re far from the Federation, do you need assistance?

JANEWAY
Yes, we are far from the Federation, very far. And, yes, would could use some assistance. We are trying to get back. Perhaps you have a spare transwarp coil which we can trade for?

AM’TALIA
We don’t use transwarp any longer. We want to avoid contact with the Collective, by any means necessary. We don’t want to get assimilated. Instead of transwarp drive, we use subspace corridors.

NELIX
Like the Vaadwaur.

AM’TALIA
The who?

NELIX
(Stepping forward)
The Vaadwaur. A species, we met them several thousand light-years back, that used subspace corridors to explore and conquer pieces of the Delta Quadrant centuries ago, including my home world. We inadvertently reintroduced them–-

JANEWAY
That’s enough Mr. Nelix. Commander Am’talia, how long has the–-Borg Confederation, you called it?–-been out of contact with the Collective?

AM’TALIA
Eight years, Captain.

JANEWAY
Eight years, you say. Well, it’s safe to assume that the Borg have made some pretty impressive assimilations since that time. I have a proposal for you. We have had some recent contact with the Borg, and we will give you all the information we have on their technology, including the opportunity to scan a former drone, for the ability to travel the subspace corridors, and any maps of corridors heading toward the Federation you are willing to share.

AM’TALIA
Your offer is. . . intriguing.

(“Discusses” it with the crew of the ship by closing her good eye and concentrating.)
We accept.

JANEWAY
Very good. Now, if you’d lower your shields, we’ll be happy to beam you, and any crew you need to, Voyag–-

AM’TALIA
That’s unnecessary, captain. We’d prefer to come to your ship under our own power. And I will be the only one beaming aboard.

JANEWAY
Very well, Commander. I’m also going to assign Voyager’s ambassador, Mr. Nelix here, to take you to sick bay and present you with any information that you may need.

AM’TALIA
That is acceptable. Now, if you will allow me, I’ll transport right now.

JANEWAY
Very well. I’ll send Nelix to the transporter room now.

AM’TALIA
That will be unnecessary.
A green light shimmers around Am'talia. After the light clears, Am'talia no longer appears on the view screen. A beat later, the green light shimmers on the bridge and Am'talia is standing there. Am'talia is dressed in normal clothers and looks like a normal humaniod, except for the occasional Borg implant, the full eyepiece, and a full Borg arm, which reaches below the knee.
AM'TALIA
We are more than capable of transporting ourselves.
On the angry and surprised look on Janeway’s face, we

FADE TO:

COMMERCIAL
So, there it is. That's what I wrote.

The rest of the episode goes something like this:

Act 3 & 4 was to have Nelix take Am'talia to sickbay where information was to be traded, Seven was to be scanned (as well as give up some nanoprobes), and Nelix would be scanned and have his blood drawn because he would have slipped and said that every week he gets a dose of nanoprobes because they brought him back to life after he died. The Doctor would be wonderfully pompous around Am'talia, but become extremely curious when he finds out that Am'talia was a medical drone on the original cube. Act 4 ends with Am'talia and Nelix back on the bridge when a Borg Cube exits transwarp and opens fire on Voyager.

Act 5 is the fight. Voyager firing at the sphere. The Cube noticing the other ship and insisting on assimilating it. Lots of fighting. Voyager gets hit badly and Am'talia insists they leave. Am'talia opens a rift in subspace and pushes Voyager through. Hundreds of light years later the crew is in the Briefing Room (otherwise known as the ugly table room) where Torres tells the crew that a Borg homing beacon was found in one of the Nacelles. The ship traveled 1000 light-years toward the Alpha Quadrant with the push into the corridor, but can not re-enter because they don't know how to integrate Federation technology with the information they were given. Then, the end.

For those who think they know more than I do, I'd like to know which twin Harry liked and which twin liked him. I can't remember, and they don't show reruns locally anymore.

Ensign Jenkins was a real character. She appeared in one episode of the first three seasons when Harry was playing captain on the night shift. She was a pretty blonde woman. Don't any of you try to argue. I have a list (somewhere) of non-main character names who had speaking parts so I could throw their names around.

By the end of Season Seven, I thought that it had been a pretty good one. Not great, but that's mostly because after four years (ones they got Seven of Nine) the shows finally started to focus on character and how each character has grown since being stuck so far from home. Basically, character wise, the last season picked up where season three left off. My biggest disappoint, not counting those horrible "Workforce" episodes, was Nelix leaving the ship before it got to Earth. Sure, it was cool that he met a group of his people, but why did he have to stay? Why couldn't they have joined the crew of the ship and come to Earth too? I guess the writers/producers thought it was an easy way to wrap up his character. The lazy bums.

Well, congrats on getting this far. Now, go finish the test.

No comments: