Monday, July 02, 2007

Funk Me

In case you couldn't tell by last week's postings, I've been in a bit of a funk. Where did it come from? I can't say because my funks are more like sink holes that you didn't know existed until your house is suddenly swallowed by the earth. It's just something you deal with until you find a way to get out if it.

Crap, I don't really want to get into all this self serving, emotional stuff. It never helps me when I write it out. I never feel better. I don't want pity or any kind of emotional support. I just want to write something.

The trouble with that is when I'm in a funk, all I think about is the funk. I'm pretty darn shut down to the rest of the world. Sure, I can still do my job, but the only time that requires any thought is when the people around me want to have a conversation and even then thought is kept to a minimum.

I suppose I could write about the wedding, but the way I'm feeling I'd write about it with a more cynical style than I usually would, and, in general, I view marriage in a pretty cynical way and I think that, on the whole, wedding ceremonies for younger people (you know, in their twenties) are rarely about the two people who are actually getting married and are more about their parents and grandparents. Which is okay, I suppose, because it keeps most of those people from getting married on a summer's day near a lake around sunset when the mosquitoes attack and near places that are easy to find.

8 comments:

geewits said...

I also have the summer blues but I blame it on the rainy weather here.

choochoo said...

writing things out never makes me feel better, either. I think I'm missing that gene. But at least I can make others miserable, as well. Hehe. You'll get out of your funk. Hey, you can play with the pooch, if you wanna. Playing with the pooch always helps.

heels said...

I'm sorry I was too preoccupied with all of the wedding stuff to really see much of you. Let us know the next time you'll be down- we'll do movie night or something.

And thank you for the anniversary card. You are the only person who ever remembers all of that stuff and you are too generous.

ticknart said...

Geewits, you must be from Texas. One of the groomsmen at the wedding, who is also my old roommate, came from Texas. He claims that God is trying to wipe that state clean, but figures it'll take more than 40 days and nights to get rid of everyone.

Choochoo, I appriciate the offer, but seeing how the pooch is like 5000 miles away and I'm only mildly entertained by dogs, I'll have to pass.

ticknart said...

Heels, the card was my pleasure and I don't think the gift was nearly enough; it was just the best I could do. And the wedding wasn't about me, it was about my friends and your friends. If it had been about me, I wouldn't have been there.

Jazz said...

May I funk with you?

heels said...

Yes, but the wedding was also about getting to see our lovely friends who are not around nearly enough. I just didn't stop moving the whole night. I guess I can't really apologize for my toddler being a toddler, but still...

Did you stay for the belly dancing?

The best gift is having a friend who remembers us. I mean that in the least sappy and most sincere way possible.

ticknart said...

Jazz, weren't you funky enough at that concert?

Heels, I missed the belly dancing. Maybe you were getting ready as I was saying good-bye to people. I couldn't find you anywhere.