Friday, April 20, 2007

Comic Book Complaining

Today, I'm going to talk Wonder Woman, in the context of her newest series, that is.

First, my history with the character: it's pretty limited. I bought an issue of her solo book and only know of her costume change to bicyclist spandex shorts from her time leading the Justice League. My brother bought the Wonder Woman issues that had Batman in them where some of Batman's villains were possessed by evil Greek gods. He only bought the issue where Lois Lane follows her around for the day, that one was cool. I think I've watched a total of ten hours of the old Linda Carter TV show and only really remember her spinning, reflecting bullets, and explaining to some guy that she flies an invisible plane and when she's in it she's invisible, too. Oh, I saw her on Superfriends, but I don't remember her doing much.

So, in the realm of comic book fandom, when it comes to Wonder Woman, I'm pretty much a newbie, which is why this latest relaunch should have been exactly the thing to pull me in.

I was only going to buy the first story arc (mainly because the Dodsons are awesome) and then if I like the characterization I'd keep it up. The first arc hasn't ended, yet. The last issue has been delayed until... well no date's actually been set.

In Scipio's post about Aquaman taking over the Justice League, Aquaman defeats Wonder Woman by having Martian Manhunter zap her with, "MISSED DEADLINES, MISSED OPPORTUNITIES, MISCHARACTERIZATION!" and it's the second one that I understand the most.

The first arc was (is) title "Who Is Wonder Woman?" The woman formerly know as Wonder Woman is now a secret agent called Diana Prince and woman formerly known as Wonder Girl/Troia/Darkstar/Donna Troy is now in the Wonder Woman suit (with a cape!). The whole point of the arc is to get Diana to put the gold bustier back on because it looks like Donna is incompetent. And I guess it succeeds because Diana has since started living a duel life as the spy and Wonder Woman, even though we have yet to actually see her take back the bustier from Circe.

Since then it's only gotten more confusing. (And the bit about Wonder Woman merchandise selling 75% less then Batman stuff, what was the point of that?)

So, I have to ask, why was "Who Is Wonder Woman?" the first arc of this new series? It doesn't make sense. Here we have a woman questioning her identity and her place in the world after snapping a man's neck (I forgot to mention that I read Infinite Crisis. I guess I should.) so much that she goes into hiding. She doesn't even start to establish a new life for herself until somewhere after week 30 of 52 (whichever issue Montoya hit on her in that ice cave). And Donna Troy doesn't even put on the costume until week 50, as seen in the WWIII stuff. That leaves--what?--three months, four tops, before Diana decides that she really does want to be a superhero again and she want's to be a real girl, too.

Didn't. Work. For me.

When this book started, I though that it would be a deconstruction of Diana. It would take away the one thing she's been since the first Crisis, Wonder Woman, and force her to try to be. Not be anything in particular, just exist. Trying to find who she is, who she can be, if she isn't Wonder Woman. Who is Diana when she's just a woman? (Albeit a woman who moves with the speed of Hermes and the strength of Hercules.)

It should have been at least twelve issues of Diana learning to be. At least. And wouldn't it have been more interesting if her assignment was to hunt down the Wonder Woman who killed Max Lord, but that Wonder Woman no longer exists.

While Diana off learning what she can be, Donna should have been kicking ass as Wonder Woman. Donna is a competent woman. She's been a superhero since she was a teen. It's what she's been waiting for all her life. A chance to shine because the shadow of Diana is no longer blocking her sun. Donna should be out there showing the world that there's more than one woman who is a Wonder Woman.

And who's to say that after Diana puts the tiara and bracers back on, there shouldn't be two Wonder Womans out there? Why not two? (Although, I have to admit, I'd find it hard to believe that Donna would want to be Wonder Woman when Diana wants to do the job.)

I really haven't liked where the book has been. I don't like where it is now. And I'm guessing that, at least for the next couple of months, I won't like where it's going. Why should I bother to buy it anymore? (And all because the editors at DC don't know how to handle a character that's been around for more than 65 years. Shame on them.)

5 comments:

SallyP said...

Her new book has been SO frustrating. Heinberg was ok, but he can't seem to meet deadlines, and the writer Picoult, just threw out the last 50 years of continuity, which is utterly ridiculous.

Wonder Woman had her own boutique for a while, and suddenly she can't figure out money or how to pump gas? I don't think so.

If you want to read a GOOD Wonder Woman, hop over to Manhunter, where Marc Andreyko has been doing a wonderful job. She's not being portrayed too bad over in JLA either.

For good news, with issue #13, Gail Simone will be taking over her book, which I am sure will be MUCH more coherent.

choochoo said...

I wouldn't want to be wonderwoman. I'm much to happy being lazy and regular

ticknart said...

Sallyp (or should it be SallyP?), I bought the issue of Manhunter with Blue Beetle on the cover and I just kept asking myself why Wonder Woman was so stupid to turn herself in. What was the point? I got frustrated and didn't return. Besided, both her Manhunter appearance and the JLA stuff bothers me because it's like DC decided that Meltzer's JLA was more important than an actual story line in Wonder Woman's book.

Choochoo, I think you do want to be Wonder Woman because you'd like to fly around and kick the asses of the world's stupid people. Call it a hunch.

Anonymous said...

It sucks they're re-characterising so many of these characters. The 90's gave a hell of a lot to go on like, you brought it up, Lois Lane interviewing Wonder Woman: WW was so conciderate and aware to whom LL was married and they even had a few laughs while discussing 'rumors' ... I have my own theories ... Perhaps the editorial staff just thought the last 15+ years were just plain ... Wrong ...?

ticknart said...

That's what I've been wondering AE. Shouldn't part of the fun of creating comics be working with the continuity, espeically for fans?

Sometimes I get the feeling that the only reason DC publishes a Wonder Woman book, instead of just banishing her to existing in the Justice League, is because she's been around for such a long time, not because they think there are good stories to be written. That's just fucked up.