Thursday, April 26, 2007

Old Books

I'm nine pages away from finishing The Dark Is Rising Sequence, again. This is the fourth or fifth time I've read the five books since I got them in the fifth grade. (I used to have the two poems/prophecies memorized.) I don't remember them being so dense. There's a lot of mythology that's almost Arthurian, but not quite, and so many other allusions to tales from the British Isles in them. I guess when I read these books before I just glossed over most of the mythology, which is strange because I've always been fascinated by the Arthurian stuff. The important thing is that I saw it this time, right?

My next book is going to be A Tale of Time City. I have read this book at least once a year since I was twelve years old. It's one of my favorites. Every time I read it, I get excited and the action in it is still thrilling.

I guess I'm just in one of those reading moods where I want to read stuff that I've read before (Remember when I mentioned Dirk Gently? I've read those books several times, too.) because I know their good and comfortable and there's no way I'll be disappointed in them. Maybe that means I'll read The Great Brain books again soon. That'd be fun.

I don't want anyone out there to think that I don't have any new, at least to me, books to read. I do. Plenty, in fact. Right now just seems like the time to visit with some of the characters and plots that gave me so much pleasure growing up.

For those who actually answer, what are some of the books that you have read, or still do read, every couple of years? What would you like to pick up again and just savor because it's fun and nostalgic? I'm always looking for more kid type novels to poke my head into.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Magic Kingdom for Sale-SOLD"
and the Pern books.
But then, you probably already knew that, didn't you?

ticknart said...

You know, I've never read a Pern book. I guess it was my way of being a rebel. Huh.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, you ARE bad!

ticknart said...

Yeah, I feel just like that guy from that song.