Friday, January 19, 2007

Manhunter 27

By Andreyko, Pina, and Riggs, according to the cover, for DC.

I'm to blame for Manhunter being cancelled. I never bought an issue before this one. And the only reason I bought this issue was because someone dressed in the Ted Kord Blue Beetle costume was on the cover and this person appeared on the last page of the issue.

For me, this whole issue was absurd. Why was Wonder Woman on trial for the death of Max Lord? Wasn't she exonerated? Why is this trial in the US? Wasn't Max killed in Switzerland? Shouldn't that be where the trial should be held? Why in LA? Wasn't Checkmate a federal agency? Shouldn't that place the venue in Washington? Why did Wonder Woman even decided to put herself through this? To show the world she's a good person?

I don't get it.

And I'm probably not the only one.

Anyway, Kate and Wonder Woman go to court. Everyone sees video of Wonder Woman snapping Max Lord's neck. Kate pulls some shenanigans to sneak her point into to jury's minds. Wonder Woman and Kate go out to eat and Kate tells Wonder Woman that it's all about the razzle dazzle, but with way less singing than Billy Flynn. They go back to court for more exposition. Eventually they exit the courthouse and Kate talks to the press on the steps and Blue Beetle drops down from the Bug.

I'm betting that this issue wasn't a good representative of the rest of the series, or maybe I really should have bought #26. The book was boring. Plot was advanced, but nothing seemed to happen. (And I'm a big fan of lawyer nonsense usually, but it didn't work well in this issue, or else I haven't spent enough time in front of a Grand Jury to see how accurate this issue was.)

I'll be picking up the next issue, if only to see Blue Beetle again. I may finish off the arc just to say I was there.

I'm interested in why this book has such a strong following. Anyone want to suggest issues that I should pick up to get a real taste of how the series was run?

No comments: