Thursday, January 04, 2007

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #23

By Waid, Kitson, and Gray, according to the cover, for DC Comics

I've been, well, iffy about this whole new Legion of Super-Heroes since the beginning. I wasn't a huge Legion fan before the reboot, true, but I had recently become of fan of the Abnett and Lanning books. I missed out on Legion Lost (still don't have it) but I started with Legion Worlds because M'Onel (which is how he was known in that series) was on the cover. I knew him as the first person to be taken over by Eclipso in the Darkness Within cross-over, which I happen to like, and from the first issues of Valor, which I eventually had to drop due to being a poor kid and wanting the Justice League books more than anything else.

Anyway, Legion Worlds was my gateway into the Legion universe (Although, now that I think about it, my first real Legion exposure was in the Secret Origins issue about headquarters. It show the origin of the JLA cave the Titan Tower and the Legion clubhouse.) and I was hooked on DnA's Legion once that started. When it was gone I was sad and angry, but since I wasn't a long time Legionnaire I thought I could survive.

When the most recent reboot came I picked up the first issue with mixed emotions. To me, this was too much silver age Legion. Sure, there were some new things in there, but it was mostly trying to be about how much better people think the old stuff was. I was there through issue 12 or 13, I'm not sure which, and it was fun, but when I started reading rumors about Supergirl showing up and my favorite Legionnaire had sort of dropped out of the book and my second favorite hadn't made an appearance and knowing the the chances ever seeing Ras al Ghul were slim, I stopped picking it up.

Then came #23. (Yes, it came out a couple of months ago and I tried to ignore it because I don't want to support this new Supergirl, even if she is just a possible creation from Dream Girl's mind.) Here was the first appearance of my second favorite Legionnaire in this new continuity. I resisted and was just going to buy his first full appearance, but when it wasn't at my LCS last week, I had to buy it the first one I saw, which was this issue.

So, the issue: Supergirl wakes up under a red sun on what she thinks is on Krypton and all the Legion stuff was a dream. She's not, though, she's on some planet around a red sun in the formerly bottled city of Kandor and she's sad because she's still in a very lucid dream. On Earth there's some rooting through broken robots. (Did Robotica show up in this continuity?) Umbra clobbers her brother in a shadow so Kitson didn't have do draw the pounding on her home world, Talok III. There's a break in at a museum in Kandor and the Legion is blamed for it, even though they weren't there when the alarms went off and they got they're asses handed to them by the people who actually did the breaking in. And finally, on the last page, Mon-El (or M'Onel or Valor or whatever he's going by in this book, probably Mon-El, though, it fits in with the silver age themes better) shows up all ghostly, like he's trapped in the Phantom Zone, again. That boy just has to learn to stay away from lead and things that open doorways to the Phantom Zone.

Overall the issue was alright. I don't really understand what's going on with Supergirl and I'm not sure if I want to. (Although the completist in me wants to rush out and buy the issues I'm missing.) Once her name was put into the title, the focus was taken away from the Legion and put on her, as seen by how many pages she appears on compared to how many she doesn't. I would have rather had more Umbra story to learn more about her world. She has shadow powers, but the place she was fighting looked like a bright desert, did she take the shadow from her world? (And then there's the whole question about how Mikaal Tomas fits into this revamp, if he does at all.) That's what I want to know. Well, that and when Supergirl's going to leave so the focus will be on the Legion and not on her.

Still, when I stop off to buy my comics today, I'll be looking for #25 and #24 so I can get all of Mon-El's return.

No comments: