Monday, January 22, 2007

The List For 01-17-07

Powers #22
Girls #21
Wonder Woman #3
Ultimate X-Men #78
Justice League of America #5
Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs. Nighthawk #1
52 #37
Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Between #1
The Helmet of Fate: Detective Chimp
Ultimate Vision #2
Green Arrow #70
Phonogram #4
Ultimate Spider-Man #104
Castle Waiting #4
Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #48
Justice Society of America #2
All Star Superman #6
Jack of Fables #6

Notes:

It seems like everything came in the mail this week, which makes so much stuff out of date, but so much good stuff anyway.

Powers #22
I haven't read this one yet. While I was re-reading the series (and noticing some connections to Marvel's Civil War) I discovered that I'm missing #19. Yeah, it's been a couple of weeks, but I forgot to pick it up last time I was at the shop.

Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs. Nighthawk #1
I don't understand what's going on here. Is this mini supposed to explain how Nighthawk joins the team? He is on the team in Ultimate Power, right? I wish the powers over at Marvel had just put this in under the regular title. Why do we need it to be a separate mini?

Green Arrow #70
Am I the only person who's enjoying this book? I like how Winick took advantage of the one year jump and really changed the status quo in Star City. I also like that in this book he has a real outlet in both Green Arrow and Ollie to vent left-wing rhetoric. It seems a good fit. I only wish the art didn't grate on me like it does.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #48
*sigh* I like Aquaman, I really do, and I really want to like this title. I want it to be great. The problem is that the book isn't focusing on what I want to know about. I've given up on finding out the truth about Arthur/Orin, it doesn't really interest me now that I know he's the Dweller. What I want to know about is how the people of Poseidonis and Tritonis and all the other cities of Atlantis are dealing with the magic being stepped out of existence. And what's going on in Sub Diego? Is Lorena there defending the people?

Wonder Woman #3
I'm grabbing the first arc because I really want to like a Wonder Woman book. I want it to be good. I want it to be interesting. I want it full of great Greek mythology, not comicized mythology, Marvel has done enough of that, thank you. In the three issues here, I haven't seen any of that. I've seen a lot of whining, though. Maybe Nightwing can show up and he and Diana have a whine-a-thon.

Ultimate X-Men #78
Wow. So. Wait. What happened? Was it just me or did this issue seem like, except for the last couple of pages, a huge jumble of images that were thrown up in the air and picked out at random? The end was sort of a shocker, but since I actually read the solicits for a future issue, I knew what was going to happen. 'Course we all know it'll be undone because, as the regular universe titles have shown, you can't really have the X-Men with out the "X" man.

No comments: