Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What Did You Do For New Year's?

Woke up on Sunday some time after eight. But not too much after eight. That would have been too much like sleeping in and since when is Sunday a day a person who wants to sleep in can actually sleep in. At least when that person is me.

Ate some left over pot roast for breakfast, watched part of an episode from the final season (also the last I needed to complete my collection) of TNG, showered, and considered getting a haircut. What would it take? Where should I go? Why not just let it grow really long?

Instead of walking to the SuperCuts I played Zelda. (Not the new one. The one for the last Nintendo. I'm not even considering buying the new one until a) it goes on sale for a pretty reasonable price or b) there's a new Mario Cart released.) I played for a long time. If I actually told you how long, it would turn into an embarrassingly long time. That time was interspersed with me pacing around my apartment and reading comics (Powers, for those who may be interested. I finished all the issues of the first series I have/can find in my apartment and I'm ready to start on the second series.)

Made brownies as I watched the rest of the TNG episode. Played Zelda as the brownies baked and cooled. Ate some brownies after the cooling and started a new TNG. Saw the time and decided that I should make dinner. While watching the episode I grilled some cheese sandwiches. (I like the processed, fatty, salty, pre-sliced singles for my grilled cheese sandwiches. Can they still be called "grilled" if I don't use a grill to make them? It's more of a fried sandwich with cheese, isn't it?) Along with the cheese, the sandwiches also had tomato and ham.

By the time the sandwiches were ready, and I had covered the brownies in a thin plastic film to keep them from drying out, a new episode had started and I ate and watched and then wandered to the fridge for some root beer and then plopped back in front of the TV to eat and watch and drink.

When the episode was over, I shuffled my dishes off to the sink for a rinse and then set them on the counter (where they still sit) and headed off for my toothbrush, which I promptly used along with a healthy portion of toothpaste. As I brushed, I wandered around the apartment and thought about flossing and how I should have done it, but figured that missing one night out of the week wasn't so bad and besides I had flossed that morning because no matter how I cook it post roast is a bit stringy and gets caught between my teeth and isn't being expected to floss twice a day a bit overkill since, in the future, I'll be able to have bionic teeth that can bite through steel? As I spit and rinsed, I figured my teeth were safe for the time being.

I headed to my bed, climbed in and started reading comics. Around ten-thirty, I yawned a big yawn that made my eyes water so much I couldn't read the print anymore and decided that it was time to sleep. Lights off, I pulled the covers to under my chin and fell asleep a lot quicker than I normally do.

Sometime after midnight, I'm sure, I heard firecrackers going off. I didn't look at the time though, I didn't care. I rolled over, put my pillow on top of my head, and fell back to sleep.

It was pretty close to what I think of as the perfect New Year's.

Tomorrow, probably: I am now much more afraid of my car.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is always the van ...

ticknart said...

But the van is 180 miles away!

Jazz said...

Well, it seems a damn sight more interesting than my New Years day.