Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mish and Mash, Both General

I'm sitting here, sucking of a fakegrape Life Saver trying hard not to concentrate on my queasy stomach. Have you ever dreamed about having an upset stomach an then had a queasy one when you woke up in the morning? I have. Just this morning, in fact. I think that it was the salad dressing I had last night. Does Zesty Italian dressing go bad? I don't think it's been open that long.
Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr Day, so I had the day off. Holidays like this leave me with mixed emotions. Yes, having a day off from work is nice, but is it the sort of think that Martin Luther King, Jr would have wanted? Would he have wanted us to celebrate his date of birth, after he died, of course, by sitting in our home listening to speeches he gave forty years ago or, even worse, going out just to buy things? It seems to me that the best way to celebrate him would be to actually do something about the rights of humans. Something that promotes an equality among people. Something more than what we normally do.

I don't know, though. I just sit around and thing about these things, I don't actually get up and do anything about it, but what are the chances that the minorities would accept a WASPy guy like me to try and lead the way to something, hopefully, better? Pretty slim, I'd say.

Did anyone else see that episode of Boondocks with Martin Luther King, Jr? In it, he wasn't killed he was just put into a coma for thirty years. He experienced September 11, 2001 and after that day he appeared on a show, much like Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect, and said that he didn't support the US invading Afghanistan or anywhere else. The audience turned on him because he continued to hold on to his pacifist beliefs. It was an unfortunate, but very true moment.
My parents came to visit over the weekend. It was nice. They brought me a car so I can get rid of my car and we had yummy French toast made by yours truly and we went to a movie and I showed them where I was hit by the cop car and took them by the parking garage where a guy was killed a few months ago (but I found that out just before Christmas, I thought he had just be seriously beaten) and other things.

We went to the Charles Schulz Museum. It's really close to where I live, but in the past year I hadn't visited before Sunday. I kept hoping that my brother would come and visit so I could go with him because, even though I know my parents appreciated and enjoyed the museum, my brother would have really been able to grok it.

Still, it was a good visit, with them and to the museum.

No comments: